IREM Certified Sustainable Property Designation validates sustainability efforts at Marlowe Lake Boone
Marlowe Lake Boone, a 283 unit multi-family property in Raleigh, NC achieved IREM Certified Sustainable Property designation, which demonstrates the property's commitment to driving meaningful sustainability improvements and enhancing resident experience.
Outlined below are some features and processes that contributed to its certification:
- Energy: Participation in an efficiency program which provided insulation of all water heaters and piping as well as replacing LED lighting in all units in 2019 at minimal cost to the property.
- Water: Implementation of various water efficiency measures, including installation of low-flow aerators and toilets, smart irrigation, drought tolerant/native landscaping, xeriscaping, and metering of water subsystems.
- Resident Engagement: Participation in the ForeverGreen@Home Resident Engagement program, through which the property team shares monthly posters and newsletters with residents on sustainability and wellness topics, in order to enhance awareness and promote a sustainable lifestyle.
1st existing building to achieve Zero Carbon Building (ZCB) Performance certification in Canada
In June 2018, 100 Murray Street in Ottawa's was awarded the country's first Zero Carbon Building (ZCB) - Performance certification. This existing 60,000 sq. ft. Class A commercial office space further built upon its proven energy performance results and LEED Gold certification in 2016, to demonstrate that it had achieved a balance of zero carbon emissions from the building:
- Implemented energy efficiency and carbon reduction measures to demonstrate a balance of zero carbon emissions.
- Sourced all off-site renewable energy through Bullfrog from Ontario sources.
- Quantified embodied carbon impact of the building and created a zero carbon transition plan
Learn more here.
ForeverGreen Tenant Engagement Program
We strive to engage our tenants as part of a community within our buildings by enabling them to achieve their sustainability objectives. Our ForeverGreen Tenant Engagement Program is implemented in all asset types across North America, including a variation for multi-family properties, called ForeverGreen@Home. Tenant engagement at Bentall Kennedy means equipping tenants with the tools and resources such as posters, videos, and newsletters, to make better operational choices each day, providing a high level of customer service, and a safe, healthy, and productive environment.
The core components of the ForeverGreen Program are:
- Energy efficiency and carbon emissions
- Waste diversion
- Water conservation
- Healthy spaces
Through this program, tenants are better equipped to make substantive improvements in the sustainable performance of their space. Click here to watch a ForeverGreen monthly video.